How to Write a Memoir: 6 Creative Ways to Tell a Powerful Story

How to Write a Memoir: 6 Creative Ways to Tell a Powerful Story

Whether you curl up with memoirs on a frequent basis or pick one up every now and again, you know powerful memoirs have the capacity to take you, as a reader, for an exhilarating ride.

I’m a connoisseur of memoirs. In the past seven years, I might have read three books that weren’t part of the memoir genre. Not only do I devour memoirs, I also have written my own, and I coach memoir writers on turning their memories into manuscripts.

By dissecting memoirs from both the reader’s and writer’s perspectives, I’ve identified common elements that powerful, compelling memoirs all share. If you’re planning to write a memoir, here’s how to make sure your story takes your readers on a journey they won’t forget.

1. Narrow your focus

Your memoir should be written as if the entire book is a snapshot of one theme of your life. Or consider it a pie, where your life represents the whole pie, and you are writing a book about a teeny-tiny sliver.

Your memoir is not an autobiography. The difference is that an autobiography spans your entire life, and a memoir focuses on one particular moment or series of moments around a theme. You want your readers to walk away knowing you, and that one experience, on a much deeper level.

Perhaps you are familiar with Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt. This memoir focuses on Frank’s life as a first-generation immigrant child in Brooklyn. Angela is his mother, and much of the storyline focuses on her and how Frank saw her, as well as the role she played in trying to hold the entire family together.

2. Include more than just your story

I know I just instructed you to narrow down your focus, but we need to think bigger in our writing pursuits.

For example, if Hillary Clinton wrote a memoir about raising a child in the White House, she would be pulling in tidbits about how she handled the media, who she let visit her daughter during sleepovers and how she navigated the politics of parenting during her time in the White House.

Likewise, if Madonna was writing a memoir about reinventing herself after 20 years away from the public spotlight, she most likely would include what it felt like to return to the music scene and how she continued to travel and perform while raising her children.

How does this apply to you? Imagine you are writing a memoir about your three-week trek through the Himalayan Mountains. While the focus is on your trip, as well as what you learned about yourself along the way, it would be wise to include other details as well.

You could describe the geography and history of the area, share interesting snippets about the people and donkeys you interacted with, and discuss your exploration of life-and-death questions as you progressed along your arduous journey.

Your readers want to know about you, but it’s the backstory and vivid details that make for a powerful memoir.

3. Tell the truth

One of the best ways to write a powerful memoir is to be honest and genuine. This is often tricky, because we don’t want to hurt or upset the people (our family and friends!) we’ve written into our books. But it’s important that you tell the truth — even if it makes your journey as an author more difficult.

When I wrote my memoir, Breaking the Silence: My Final Forty Days as a Public School Teacher, I knew I had a major dilemma: If I opted to tell the whole truth, I would pretty much ensure I would never get a job with New York City Public Schools again.

But I also knew teachers, parents and administrators needed to hear why great teachers are leaving education in droves and why the current educational system is not doing what’s right for our nation’s kids. I wrote my book with brutal honesty, and it has paid off with my readers — and is bringing national attention to what is happening behind closed school doors.

One more note on honesty: Memoirs explore the concept of truth as seen through your eyes. Don’t write in a snarky manner or with a bitter tone. The motivation for writing a memoir shouldn’t be to exact revenge or whine or seek forgiveness; it should simply be to share your experience.

Don’t exaggerate or bend the truth in your memoir. Your story, the unique one that you hold and cherish, is enough. There is no need to fabricate or embellish.

4. Put your readers in your shoes

Powerful writers show, not tell. And for a memoir writer, this is essential to your success, because you must invite your reader into your perspective so she can draw her own conclusions.

The best way to do this is to unfold the story before your reader’s eyes by using vivid language that helps him visualize each scene.

Perhaps you want to explain that your aunt was a “raging alcoholic.” If you say this directly, your description will likely come across as judgmental and critical. Instead, paint a picture for your audience so they come to this conclusion on their own. You might write something like this:

“Vodka bottles littered her bedroom, and I had learned, the hard way, not to knock on her door until well after noon. Most days she didn’t emerge into our living quarters until closer to sunset, and I would read her facial expression to gauge whether or not I should inquire about money — just so I could eat one meal before bedtime.”

5. Employ elements of fiction to bring your story to life

I like to think of the people in memoirs as characters. A great memoir pulls you into their lives: what they struggle with, what they are successful at and what they wonder about.

Many of the best memoir writers focus on a few key characteristics of their characters, allowing the reader to get to know each one in depth. Your readers must be able to love your characters or hate them, and you can’t do that by providing too much detail.

Introduce intriguing setting details and develop a captivating plot from your story. Show your readers the locations you describe and evoke emotions within them. They need to experience your story, almost as if is was their own.

6. Create an emotional journey

Don’t aim to knock your readers’ socks off. Knock off their pants, shirt, shoes and underwear too! Leave your readers with their mouths open in awe, or laughing hysterically, or crying tears of sympathy and sadness — or all three.

Take them on an emotional journey which will provoke them to read the next chapter, wonder about you well after they finish the last page, and tell their friends and colleagues about your book. The best way to evoke these feelings in your readers is to connect your emotions, as the protagonist, with pivotal events happening throughout your narrative arc.

Most of us are familiar with the narrative arc. In school, our teachers used to draw a “mountain” and once we reached the precipice, we were to fill in the climatic point of the book or story. Your memoir is no different: You need to create enough tension to shape your overall story, as well as each individual chapter, with that narrative arc.

That moment when you realized your husband had an affair? Don’t just say you were sad, angry or devastated. Instead, you might say something like:

“I learned of my husband’s affair when the February bank statements arrived and I realized that in one month’s time, he had purchased a ring and two massages at a high-end spa.

Those gifts weren’t mine. He was using our money to woo another lady and build a new life. I curled up in a ball and wept for three hours — I had been demoted to the other woman.”

Will you write a memoir?

When you follow these guidelines while writing your memoir, you will captivate your audience and leave them begging for more. But more importantly, you will share your own authentic story with the world.

Have you written or are you planning to write a memoir?

This post originally ran in April 2015. We updated it in April 2017.

This post contains affiliate links. That means if you purchase through our links, you’re supporting The Write Life — and we thank you for that!

Filed Under: Craft
Free Newsletter

Enjoyed that post? Subscribe for more:

Essay Writing: How to Find the Story in You – and Sell It

This six-week online personal essay writing course will guide you through every step of the process, from essay idea to salable piece.

• David Mike says:

I am very close to the end of my memoir. It seems as if I was following your advice without knowing it.

• Laura says:

I am so happy I clicked on your sight. I am just beginning to write. You have given me great tips on how to begin my story. I’m looking into doing a memoir. Looking forward to getting my truth out there. Hopefully it’ll give someone else faith and guidance to live a productive life after being dealt a bad hand in life. So thank you for your words.

• Carol says:

When writting do many people write it in the first person of “I”?

• Do you have a mini-memoir-moment to share? Why not enter it in Writer Advice’s Flash Memoir Contest? Everyone gets detailed feedback. Deadline is March 1, 2016. Details are at http://www.writeradvice.com. You can’t win unless you enter.

• Mandy says:

I would like to write a memoir. Is it a good idea to change names? Some people in my life might not be alright with having their name in my story.

• donna brown says:

Thank you for your great advice. I just started to write my mother’s life story this month. I was confused and overwhelmed at first how to include her interesting life story from birth, being born during WWII under Japanese invasion, to her prosperous and happy marriage that became abusive and end up separating, and raising 8 kids on her own. Reading your tips gave me the idea to perhaps just focus on the marriage first and write another about her own life? Do i write as a daughter? a narrator? Do Iwrite “my mother” my parents” or using fictional names when i am retelling and narrating the story? I insert dialogue in first person experience, but the rest of the story is narrative 2nd person (he , she), would that make sense. Thank you.

• Karen R says:

Thanks for the great tips and the encouragement to keep putting my story down, one word at a time.
    The process, for me, has been cathartic and painful as I’m recalling the years I spent dealing with chronic pain and sickness with the goal of encouraging others who feel alone in their pain.

• tammie says:

not sure where to start my story

• Kacy says:

Hi Shannon, I’ve been wanting to write a memoir but i have no idea as of how to start it or even where to begin. I believe once i get a head start, im confident enough i can finish the rest with a little coaching. May please ask for your guidance in this journey.

Thanks,
    Kacy

• Shannon says:

Hey Kacy! This article should help you being your journey. A memoir is one slice of your life. Start there. A marriage. A child. A job. An epic trip. Good luck!

• Sharon Annable says:

I just came across this. I’ve been struggling to write a memoir for several years now. I’d started it as fiction, but it didn’t fit. I’ve scrapped it four different times. But your article has helped me sort things out and now I think I know how to go about it. I can’t wait to get started, actually. Thank you so much! 🙂

• Acquah Gabriel Kwame says:

This is great to read. I am way into a memoir of my own. May I please know how many chapters are ideal, and how many words. Thank you.

• Shannon says:

Hi Acquah,

Don’t get caught up on the chapters. Write until complete. Your editor will help you when it’s time to narrow down or add more!

Shannon

• Tia Titus says:

Thank you for this! My husband and I are writing our memoir. I know that it’s going to help millions and help us tell our story.

• Shannon,

Thank you for this informative, detailed and exciting piece. I am walking away from this read, feeling confident and more educated and certain of my plans and agenda.
    All of us about who are writing are doing so for different reasons and many of us are going to do most of this alone with no help. For more reasons than one.
    I am writing a memoir about my own life transformations and experiences. Doing so because I am called to share and reveal how God called me to service and life change even though I was a hopeless candidate, living in darkness and misery.
    In the 13th year of my 15 years inside American prisons, I finally gave my life to CHRIST and then before was released, I was blessed with a visions of a Youth Outreach ministry helping At Risk youth, families and communities.
    Released in 2006 and nothing of course happens in our time and in my life nothing is possible without CHRIST, but He keeps on opening doors and blessing me abundantly and FIERCE YOUTH OUTREACH was established in 09 as a gang outreach ministry.
    Newspaper articles, radio station interviews, 700 club aired testimony, what a blessing it is to share with the WORLD what JESUS can do with the least of us, but that is nothing unless it is HELPING someone and that is the basis for a memoir for me.
    I want m mistakes, pain and bad decisions to help others.

• Shannon says:

Brandon,

You are most welcome. Glad you found it inspiring and uplifting. Good luck on your memoir!

Shannon

• Mandi quincy says:

Shannon…ok well im at the sad end of a true life journey…a journey that began yrs ago but the “sliver” of the journey that i want to make into a memoir is a 6 week real life journey that I took with Matthew who is only 35.still young and still alot of life to live yet…. and I so want to get it out there first..i will be the one narrating….there are many people that took short rides off and on through this journey but 5 main ppl to start,and a couple tht pop in and out at various times on this journey,but are a very important part of this journey and will keep readers reading..this journey will break your heart,it will shock you in disbelief ot will make you cry and make you laugh…it is a 33 day journey,with a 3 day event that actually happened 2 weeks before this journey actually started and then it was bam! Straight into disbelief,shock,and grief and defying the odds and that 3 day event pops in and out at various times on this journey and then at the end thy both come together as a bittersweet end to a journey…but this journey will keep people reading because they will not know wht the nexts days events entailed due to the nature of this joirney and the time frames and then when those dont hold true and something ooposite happens,thy r shocked and wanna know did he or did he not…thy wanna knw thy will want to know the nxt chapter of this journey..cuz its been up and down and back and forth.. this joirney has kept me in suspense every single day and i am living it watching it…i need help,i have never wrote anything..i am a reader but this is something i HAVE to do for Matthew…his struggles his fight and his joirneys end,all in a sliver of his pie..i never ever thought abt being a writer before this very moment until 2016 dealt me some pretty rough and trying times and has tested my strength to the fullest…and as i sat here in my home tonight,it smacked me like a rock in a slingshot!! And i sat up and said,i am going to write a book,a book for matthew,to tell his story, and hope that at least one day his journey will help jist one person headed for the same joirney..i need help!! Dont know a thing about this but am determined to get matthews joirney out there..it needs to be told!I promise it wont disappoint

• Brandon Duncan says:

I’m actually doing the BIO and writing anything but a Memoir .
        Blessings and thank ALL who contributed and especially YOU for this entire piece….

• Maire Hanley says:

I have written the first chapter of my memoir and have an agent interested. It’s a complex story mostly about my father and mother. It’s taking me ages as there is so much emotion attached to the story. I am aiming to have it to my agent by the end of the year. I need to get disciplined now. Your advice is very useful. I am sort of thinking of mine like a novel in terms of structure, even adding in conversations that ‘might’ have happened, to explain some of the things that happened that I did not witness myself but which had a big impact.

• Anita Percudani says:

Hi, My name is Anita. I want to write a memoir not to be published but for my children,grand children and there children. I would be a family history starting from present as I approach a milestone birthday,and looking back
    I have gathered some important information and am still doing the gathering.
    I want my children and grand children to know “where we all came from” how we got here and the story of my life which includes there lives. I thought of breaking it down to chapters from a particular year to let say the following years ( could be 5 year increments or 10 or less.What are your thoughts. I will be 80 on my next birthday. Please advise. Anita Percudani

• Stephinie says:

Hello, I just wanted to comment on here to say thank you for your advice. I’ve been searching for useful tips to help me with my memoir, and your advice was very to the point, easy to understand and also easy to relate to, from reading other memoirs and especially points about needing to be brutally honest and to try and not worry about who that may upset.
    I’m writing my own memoir of a very difficult time in my life, that has actually played a huge part in who I am and everything since the event. I’d love it if you could give me some more advice please, with how to balance putting all of the raw emotion that needs to go into the book by revisiting some old feelings from when I was 16 to then carry on about my day now, raising two toddlers. I feel a little scared to get stuck into the memories entirely as I don’t want to dwell and let my thoughts be overtaken. If that makes sense? Perhaps that’s exactly what is needed here but I would love to hear your thoughts.

• sacha beaumont says:

Hi I was wondering if I could get some help on my history memoir its about someone else and something significant that has happened in their life that has changed society and I was wondering how do I start it off and how do I hook my readers into this memoir
    thanks much appreciated

• Narva Thomas says:

Hi,
    I have a question. I just started a memoir and I need to know if it is o.k. to keep the original names of places or locations, even though I’m changing the real names of the people described in the story.

• cecy ortiz says:

Hi

I have started writing my memoir and I began a non-fiction short story, but it seems like there is so much to tell that it might become another memoir. I have picked the titles “1981 Detour” and “Sweet October. I am trying to learn as much as I can as I don’t want to sound plain, thank you for sharing these tips anything helps.

C

• C.Vichi says:

I do so appreciate your advice. Simply put and easily understood. Unfortunately, I am still a hot mess regarding whether to opt for writing an autobiography or memoir. I have much to write about as I have had both a tragic and unique life from birth. Unfortunately, much of what a few people close to me have constantly suggested that I capture on paper pertains to my sexual past. For me to be at ease with the theme of a memoir, it would require both expressing my upbringing/early events that have molded my personality and mind set that contributed to those events along with how those events have continued to cause pain in my adult life to this day. That, to me means it is more of an autobiography rather than a memoir and I struggle with that as a result of the thinking that “nobodys” DO NOT WRITE AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY. Add to that the trouble of calling it an autobiography when the majority of actual event recollection are sexual in nature…and you have a disorganized mess. All I know is that I have enough thoughts and actual events to fill a book and interest and relentless suggestion to memorialize it all on paper. Help!